Vishwas Shirgaonkar received his initial musical training from Smt. Pushpa Rajhans and two stalwarts of
the Gwalior gharana: Pandit Anant Kogaje and late Pandit Yeshwantbua Joshi.
Subsequently, Vishwas was initiated into the gayaki of the Jaipur Gharana by late Pandit Anandrao
Limaye.Vishwas Shirgaonkar combines the two major sub-streams of the Jaipur gharana gayaki.
He has received training from late Pandit Anandrao Limaye of Kolhapur, who, as a disciple of Pandit
Govindbua Shaligram,belonged to the Ustad Alladiya Khan tradition. After Pandit Limaye’s demise in
1994, Vishwas received training from the late Pandit Ratnakar Pai, another erudite guru of the Jaipur
gayaki, who was the disciple of Pandit Mohanrao Palekar and Ustad Gulubhai Jasdanwalla and who
- Vishwas Shirgaonkar received initial musical training from Smt. Pushpa Rajhans, grand-disciple of Krishnarao Shankar Pandit.
- Further taaleem in Gwalior gharana gayaki by Pt. Anant Kogaje and Pt. Pandit Yeshwantbua Joshi from 1974 to 1985.
- Received taaleem in Jaipur Gharana gayaki by late Pt. Anandrao Limaye. Kolhapur, disciple of Pt. Govindbua Shaligram, 1990 to 1994.
- Continued taaleem in Jaipur Gharana gayaki from Pt. Ratnakar Pai Mumbai, disciple of Pt. Mohanrao Palekar and Ustad Gulubhai Jasdanwallah from 1996 to 2009.
- Vishwas has received guidance in the Marathi Abhangs from Pt. Appasaheb Deshpande (Nutan Gandharva).
- During his early years, Vishwas also received instruction in tabla from Pt. Prabhakar Desai of Nagpur (passed Madhyama Poorna from ABGM in tabla.
- Several students of Vishwas Shirgaonkar have taken and passed in First Class ABGM examinations over the past 5 years. Several students are currently preparing for Praveshika, Madhyama Poorna and first year Visharad exams.
- Vishwas Shirgaonkar has recently been awarded a research grant by Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, to conduct research on stylistic changes in Jaipur/Atrauli Gharana Gayaki.
-Vishwas holds an M.S. in Systems Management and a B.E. (Electrical Engineering) and has retired from a successful career in the World Bank managing its financial and administrative systems.
Notable Solo Concert Performances
-India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, 2017
-Swarayan Sangeet Sabha, Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, Pune, 2016
-Nagpur University, Morris college, Department of Music, Lecture-demonstration on Jaipur Gharana Gayaki, 2016
-Swar Sangam Sangeet Mahotsav 2016, Nagpur, September, 2016
-Swanand Sangeet Sabha, Mumbai, September, 2016
-Bhubaneshwar Music Circle, August, 2016
-Taal Utsav, Taal Sadhana Samooh, Nagpur, 2015
-Swar Mauli, Ville Parle, Mumbai, 2014
-Sangeet Vikas Sabha, Pune, 2014
-Anwat Raag Festival, Dadar-Matunga Cultural Center, Mumbai, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
-Faculty of Music and fine Arts, Delhi University, 2013
-SoorBahar Festival, Marathi Vishwa, New Jersey, 2012
-Karnatak Sangh, Kalabharati sponsored “Pai Punyasmaran”, Mumbai, 2010, 2012, 2015
-Dewal Club, Kolhapur, India, 1999 and 2009
-Smithsonian Institution, “Raagas under the skies”, Washington DC, 2005
-Pt. Anandrao Limaye Punyatithi, Kolhapur, 1995
-Maharashtra Mandal, London, UK
-Gandhi Memorial Center, Washington DC
-Thematic programs like "Aneka-madhyam Raagaas", “Nav Kalyan Rang”, “Malhar Darshan”, “Utsav”
-Composed music for the Sanskrit verses of 4th century poet Kalidas’ “Meghdoot”, a Kathak ballet choreographed by Pandit Birju Maharaj, produced by the Indian Classical Dance Company of Washington D.C .Worked directly under the guidance of Pt. Birju Maharaj for this project.
“Sanesa” released by Mystica Music Inc., India 2011, Raagas Nand, Jaunpuri, Nat-Kamod, Rajasthani Badhai Geet –
“Saavare” released by Bihaan Music, India, 2012, Devotional Krishna Bhakti Geet
Indian Classical Music - Bihaan Music - Collections of Hindusthani Classical Music - the Music of India
“Swaanand” released by Mystica Music Inc., India, 2009, Raagas Shree, Nayaki Kanada, Abhang
Swaananda â€“ Hidden Gems Vishwas Shringaonkar
Connect With Vishwas M Shirgaonkar